Welcome

"It's dangerous business walking out one's front door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to".... You never know when or where He may sweep you off to on a glorious adventure... but this is the place where I will humbly attempt to share many of these adventures.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Leadership

Today, I would like to share just what God is placing on my heart and challenging me on and ask that you would pray along with me and for me. My reading this morning was in 2 Chronicles 21 - looking at the life and reign of Jehoram. There are examples in God's word that you want to follow.. and ones you do not. Jehoram is one you do not want to follow. God placed Him as king over His people, but Jehoram turned from God and sought foreign God's. On top of that, Jehoram taught the people to do so as well. Vs 11 says he taught them to play the harlot and led them astray. God then sends word through the prophet Elijah that Jehoram's family will pay for his sin, that all will be taken from him, and that he will suffer from a terrible bowel disease that will eventually see his bowels come out. That is a grotesque and hard to swallow punishment. God sends armies to capture cities, take away Jehoram's wealth, power, and family. On top of that, the bowel disease takes 2 painful years to finally kill him. I know God is not a harsh God and quick to anger, but there is something in this story He is really challenging me with today. Everything is about His glory and honor. When He grants leadership to someone, it is to lead His people into a deeper and more glorifying relationship with Him that calls all peoples to praise Him. So, to whom much is given, much is expected. To rebel against God's purpose in granting one leadership, will lead to serious consequences. Why? Because God is passionate about the honor and glory of His name. He will not allow it to be debased. This lead me to ask myself 2 questions. 1) Will I be faithful in obedience with the leadership He has given me to lead people closer to Him? 2) Will I make it about me like Jehoram and or lazy like the man who was given one talent who hid it for fear of the master?

I want desperately to live out that first one. But I know my heart. My heart is fearful - afraid to fail. My heart is lazy and selfish. Yet, for some reason God has given me wisdom and understanding beyond me. He has placed me in leadership over and over again, and again and again I ask why? I don't deserve it. More often than not, I don't want it. I don't want it because if He grants it, then I am afraid I will fail Him. Today, I am reminded that failing Him is rejecting His plan and His way. The only way I can fail is to reject the path He has for me. He has given me leadership and understanding for His glory. If I reject that path, He will be swift to discipline me before I defame His name. If I walk in His will and seek His glory, He will not let me fail... for the exact same reason - FOR HIS GLORY! I have always looked at my fear and insecurities and counted them as a weakness that would keep me from living out His full purpose in me. Now, I am seeing that those weaknesses will be the one thing that will keep me in His will. If I felt I could do His will on my own, then I would trust myself and my abilities. I know my heart and flesh and see the abilities, opportunities, and gifts He has given me, and my heart cries out I don't deserve them. He strength will be seen in my weakness. He has given me much, because I know I cannot handle much. Only He can. All He requires of my is radical and undivided obedience. I wanted to share this with you all because I think this is something we all struggle with in one way or another. The fear of failure cripples us and leads us to settle for less, but God has not called us to live ordinary, unfruitful lives. He has called us to Him. And if He calls us to step out for Him, He will be faithful to see it through for the glory and honor of His name. It is not about us. It has never been about us. Peter sank when walking on water when he took his eyes off of Christ. When our eyes are on Him and we are obedient to His will, all things are possible. So that longing and passion that God has built into each one of us for His glory is possible. The only question is - Will we be willing to fan into flame the gift He has given us and walk in courageous obedience to His will? There is no higher calling. There is no other purpose for which we were created. God desires that every part of our life be about His glory, and He has the power and wisdom to see it truly come to fruition in our lives. Will we be obedient to ask for it and seek Him? There is no time for laziness. The battle is heavy and souls are at stake. John Piper says, "There are 3 types of Christians. Zealous goers, Zealous Senders, and disobedient." There is no other option. Our lives are to be invested in the advancement of His kingdom.

I hope this has made sense. When God opens your eyes to something, it is more often like a floodgate than a hose. It is hard to put into words, but it is so clear, freeing, and refreshing in my heart. I am sick of coasting by, knowing that given half an effort will put me just above average. I don't want to settle for just above average. I want to be all that I can for His glory. I want to be excellent. I want to be holy. And that is what He calls us to. He has given me much, that I might be poured out much. So I invite you to pray with me and for me. Pray that God gives me a courageous heart to follow Him no matter what. Pray that I would trust Him and keep my eyes on Him. Pray that God gives me spirit that is sick at the idea of being lazy and mediocre and yearns for divine obedience and discipline in my life. Pray that I would be found faithful with what has been entrusted to me - the gospel of the glory of the kingdom of God - and that I would proclaim it and give all that I am to see mature disciples raised up for His glory. Pray that God would strip away all of my flesh - selfishness, pride, and envy, and renew within me His image - holiness, selflessness, self-control, love, grace, and peace - for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment